Thursday, July 14, 2011

What to Wear

I think the question I get asked the most is "What should we wear Jen?" Finding the perfect outfit for everyone in the family is no easy task! I have scheduled my own family's session for the end of September with a fellow photographer. At the end of this post is an example of what I have planned out so far for my kids (haven't purchased yet, but slowly will). My hubby and I already have clothes in this color palette so I am not worrying too much about our clothing...yet. I thought I'd share with you some tips for planning out your family's outfits for a session.

* Dress like you and dress comfortably.

* Choose a color palette of 3-5 colors. Not everyone needs to wear the same color, just a color from the palette. My hubby and daughter are fair so I want a darker color for them to contrast with their hair and skin. A light color could wash them out so I am careful in my consideration for their clothing. My boys and I are darker so I wanted what we will wear to have some light colors to it again to provide a contrast. Don't be afraid of color. I personally love bold colors for photos.

* A pop of pattern is good. Too much pattern or a bold pattern draws the eye right to it. So be careful in pattern selection.

* Layering is good especially when introducing a pattern. As in the example at the end of the post I put together for my kids, there is a solid shirt under each of the patterned button ups. If my daughter's dress was patterned, I could layer a solid cardigan over it.

* Accessories are super important in my opinion. Selecting the right jewelery, belt, shoes, or hair diddies add the perfect touch!

* I am not a big fan of matchy-matchy unless you are a twin under the age of 5. I am not a fan of subjects all in a white shirt and jeans either. White is a tough color to shoot, especially if you are fair. Brides get a free pass.

* Don't wait until the last minute to find the perfect outfit. It takes weeks to plan and be happy with it. I have had clients cancel because they waited too long to find coordinating clothes. Most often, Bakersfield is not the place to shop as our shopping is limited. Sometimes you can find what you need, but usually just not when you need it. It may require shopping online or out of town. You want to love what you are wearing so that you love the pictures I take. Nothing makes you look and feel better than a fabulous outfit and the confidence you get from how you look will be obvious in your photo.

Feel free to discuss with me what you are thinking about wearing. I am glad to help. I've been invited to some of your closets in the past to see what I can come up with using what you have.

With the upcoming family sessions, I will post wardrobe ideas as inspiration for you as you begin the hunt for the perfect outfits. So be sure to check back with the blog regularly.

No comments: